CHARLESTON FAMILY TRUST SCHOLARSHIP
The Charleston Family Trust Scholarship was established in memory of Thomas and Lulu Charleston, as a tribute to their value of education, honesty, hard work and self-reliance. Both born and raised in the segregated South, the couple struggled financially to pursue higher education and a better life for their family.
Mr. Charleston was a lifetime member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), supporter of Southern Poverty Law Center, The United Negro College Fund, and had a long and extensive career with the Department of Corrections in California retiring as Assistant Warden at Folsom State Prison.
The Charleston's hard work and perseverance has given way for them to leave a part of their legacy to those who would otherwise be unable to pursue an education, because they believed that, 'An education is paramount in ones journey through life.' Their hope was to enrich the lives of those who receive this gift so that in turn, the recipient can do the same for the next generation.
Applicants must meet all of the eligibility requirements and deadline to qualify as we search to make (3) awards of up to $3,000 based upon a student’s unmet financial need.
For full consideration, students must:
* Be African-American and legal residents of the United States.
* Have a cumulative grade point average of a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale and submit an uploaded official or unofficial current college academic transcript, which demonstrates this GPA.
* Have completed a FAFSA and demonstrate a financial need based upon the review of a Financial Aid office official.
* Be enrolled full time at any 4-year accredited institution.
* Complete an online application.
* Submit a (1) page personal statement on the topic of “Providing service to your community.”
* Submit (1) letter of recommendation, to be submitted by reference via online form.
Deadline: January 19, 2018
* Must be African-American.
* Must be a college junior enrolled full time at a UNCF member institution.
* Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
* Must have a demonstrated unmet financial need (per your college or university Office of Financial Aid).
Deadline: January 26, 2018
KIA MOTORS AMERICA STEM/SUSTAINABILITY SCHOLARSHIP
UNCF has partnered with Kia Motors America to provide up to $3,000 need-based, renewable scholarship opportunities.
* Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
* Must be a junior or senior enrolled full time at a UNCF member institution.
* Must have completed a FAFSA and demonstrate an unmet financial need as verified by your college/university.
* Majoring in one of the following disciplines: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Biomedical Science, Engineering or Sustainability/Environmental science.
Students shall submit an online application for the program, complete with (1) letter of recommendation, a one-page personal statement of your career interest and a current college transcript.
* Preference will be given to students who are permanent residents of California.
Deadline: January 26, 2018